Monday 2 November 2020

Looking for #homedecor inspo? These are the places you should check out

styledbypt Priscilla Tan
Priscilla Tan is an interior stylist based in Singapore and New Zealand

Trained in fashion design with her own clothing line and later, a jewellery line, Singaporean Priscilla Tan decided to give it all up and start afresh with her own interior design firm in 2018. The self-taught interior stylist didn’t have formal training in the field but quickly won the hearts of home owners with her fresh ideas, warm colour palettes and elegant, charming spaces.

Known for eschewing a cookie-cutter approach, Tan believes strongly in showcasing the homeowners’ personality and identity by incorporating their travel memories and precious items in a tasteful manner. She credits her fashion background in giving her an eye for colours, detail, texture and aesthetic.

Now, Styledbypt has more than 36,000 followers on Instagram and Tan has gone on to style the stores of brands such as Perk by Kate, Carrie K. and Hey Good Cat, not to mention several private homes.

Below, she chats with SilverKris and shares some of her favourite travel memories.

Lisbon Portugal
A picturesque street corner in Lisbon. Photo credit: Shutterstock.com

My top three places around the world for home #inspo:

1. Portugal

Portugal is one of the best places to go to for home inspiration. They have a love for gorgeous printed tiles, as evidenced by the many public spaces decorated with intricate printed tiles. The interior design shops also offer a unique boho European flair, which I love.

2. India

Another country I love travelling to is India – the artistry and intricate detailing of materials, and the explosion of colours, is mind-blowing. They have gorgeous palaces, museums and shops that marry international and traditional style together so harmoniously.

3. Japan

Japan is another country that inspires me and where I draw many of my ideas from. I love how the people there have such a keen eye in detail and how a simple thought or idea can be presented in such a chic and understated manner. The food, nature and shopping options in Japan never fail to amaze me.

antique store thrift
An antique store in the UK. Photo credit: Shutterstock.com

My favourite home décor shops around the world:

I find that the best places to find home decor is through the small independent boutiques you encounter when you travel, as you will be able to get a piece of decoration that is way more unique than a mainstream shop.

I highly recommend checking out weekend markets or even the thrift stores in every country you visit. The stuff found in the markets is always one of a kind.

I am also obsessed with the home sections of department stores in London, Paris, Japan and Spain. They carry unique local designer pieces and are often spectacularly displayed – a true visual feast. Some of my favourites are Merci in Paris and The Conran Shop in London.

Odette Singapore Silverkris
Odette Singapore

Most gorgeous restaurants I’ve been to:

I love Odette in Singapore for its ultra-refined setting, but my favourite is Violet Oon because she marries traditional heritage with modern luxury finishes in her restaurants.

I also fondly remember the restaurants in India as I love the hand painted murals, glass mosaics and the dramatic use of colours. Some of my favourites are the restaurants at Samode Palace as well as the Instagram-worthy Caffé Palladio Jaipur.

SEE ALSO: A photography-filled itinerary to Singapore with Mindy Tan

The post Looking for #homedecor inspo? These are the places you should check out appeared first on SilverKris.



from SilverKris

No comments:

Post a Comment