Monday 3 August 2020

My best shot: Santa Barbara, United States 

My Best Shot Josh Griggs
Josh shot this scene while at a beach in Santa Barbara

Based in Auckland, New Zealand, photographer Josh Griggs has shot for a wide variety of commercial and editorial clients

A strong believer in the power of storytelling, Josh says he’s at his best when he’s on the move. “I am definitely a roaming photographer,” he says. “I’m always moving around, shooting high and shooting low, hunting for those magic angles and compositions. His selected image was taken on a beach in California’s Santa Barbara.  

What do you love about this particular image?

To me, this image really speaks to the idea of the quintessential California summer that I have in my hea enjoying the sun and beach with friends.   

What did you have to do to get this specific shot?

This is a classic example of being in the right place at the right time – no advanced planning went into this shot. I was just walking along the beach and the scene caught my eye. The simplicity of the background and the bright California light all combined to make a nice image.   

What was the assignment?

This was actually a threeweek road trip with my dadcatching up with family and exploring some of the West Coast by car.   

New Zealand penguins silverkris
This aerial view of Akaroa Harbour was shot by Josh for a feature in SilverKris

What was the most memorable moment of the trip?

Probably passing through some of the smaller towns along the way. I’ve always been a big fan of single street towns, with their old-timey diners and quirky attractions along the way. The super builtup areas don’t usually appeal to me as much. 

What was the biggest challenge you faced?

There were no major challenges on this trip as it was just a holiday – not overeating tacos was probably the biggest area I had to rein myself in on!   

What’s your one piece of advice for budding photographers?

Be active in your community and be as friendly as you can. Being a nice person in this industry goes a very long way.   

What’s your favourite place to photograph in the world?

Photographing in Japan has been a highlight for me. Coming from New Zealand, Japan offers a very different aesthetic, and I always find that places that look and feel really different from your daytoday life are the most enjoyable to shoot.  

Wellington walking tour feature
A suspension bridge on the Paekākāriki Escarpment Track, shot by Josh for another SilverKris feature

What’s been your most memorable travel experience?

Traveling to Papua New Guinea to photograph coffee farmers and their communities has definitely been my most rewarding work experience. I’ve travelled there three times now and will keep going back as long as I can.   

Where would you love to photograph that you haven’t yet?

I’m quite interested in photographing food stories in various rural regions in China  there is such an incredible range of traditional dishes and techniques that I feel like you could devote a month to it and still barely scratch the surface.   

What is your top travel essential?

Definitely a camera  but I’ve started really simplifying the camera I take on holiday. I think one camera and one fixed lens is a great way to travel. You can still take photos of what you find interesting, but you are also a lot more present in the moment.   

Where do you dream of travelling next?

I’ve long dreamed of visiting Italy to do a two– or threeweek road trip, eating my way around the country. Hopefully in a year or two, this might be possible again!  

See more of Josh’s work here 

To learn more about Singapore Airlines flights, visit singaporeair.com. For more information and travel advisories, please visit Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ website.

SEE ALSO: My best shot: Fukiji Temple, Kunisaki, Japan

The post My best shot: Santa Barbara, United States  appeared first on SilverKris.



from SilverKris

No comments:

Post a Comment