Wednesday 27 January 2021

Singapore Airlines cabin crew share their Lunar New Year-inspired dishes

The Lunar New Year is a time of celebration and gatherings, of renewal of family ties and feasting. Below, Singapore Airlines (SIA) cabin crew share some of their very own dishes, created with the special festivities in mind.

Jessica Sum SIA cabin crew
Jessica Sum

1. Jessica Sum

Inflight Manager

In service: 31 years and 7 months
Specialty: Chinese, Malay, Nyonya-inspired and Western cuisine
Dish created: Prosperity Treasures

What (or who) was your inspiration behind the dish?
My talented and amazing mother-in-law. She is a great influence in my style of cooking esp Chinese/ Cantonese cuisine.

Why does this dish remind you of the Lunar New Year?
This dish was created after I was inspired by a Lunar New Year dish made by my mother-in-law. I adapted and improvised that dish and put my own twist to it by incorporating roast pork (my favourite!) and roast duck (my husband’s favourite). It is a wholesome one-pot claypot dish that signifies abundance of prosperity with the use of sea cucumber, dried oyster and shiitake mushrooms – ingredients that are synonymous with good fortune during the Lunar New Year. The dish is complemented by beautiful broccoli florets.

Jessica Sum SIA cabin crew
Jessica’s dish reminds her of celebrations with her husband’s family

What do you love most about the Lunar New Year? How do you usually celebrate the occasion?
LNY and reunion dinners are very important to us and are usually spent in Malaysia with both our families whom we seldom meet due to our busy work schedules, as my husband and I are both flying crew with Singapore Airlines. Without fail, lunches and dinners would usually consist of a lavish spread prepared beforehand by my mother-in-law and we would watch and enjoy the many fireworks lit around our housing estates after that.

Which SIA destination does it remind you of and why so?
Hong Kong, as the dish is very much a Cantonese dish in terms of its flavours, texture and usage of dried ingredients which is abundantly available in our Chinese provision stores. Cantonese cuisine has taught me many things but most of all I remember one thing: “For a dish to shine, let the flavours speak for itself.”

Jessica Sum SIA cabin crew
Jessica’s Prosperity Treasures

Ingredients:
Half a roast duck
1 strip of roast pork (cut into chunks)
3 dried oyster (soaked in water)
1 medium sea cucumber (cut into 1 inch-long slivers)
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
5 slices of ginger
1 medium broccoli (cut into rosettes)
Straw mushroom (half a can)
4 shiitake mushrooms (soaked and sliced)
1 stalk of spring onion (cut in 1 inch lengths)
1 stalk of coriander (roughly chopped)
Oil
Fried garlic
1 tbsp of oyster sauce
1 tsp of light soya sauce
1 tsp of dark soya sauce
½ tsp of sugar
¼ tsp of salt
¼ tsp of white pepper
1 tsp of five spice powder
1 tbsp of shaoxing wine
4 cups of water (some from the shiitake mushroom)
1 tsp of cornflour and 2 tbsp of water (mixed well)

Method:
1. In a medium claypot, sauté garlic and ginger in hot oil till fragrant.
2. Add shiitake and straw mushrooms, lightly fry.
3. Place roast duck and roast pork in the pot and cover with water.
4. Add five spice powder.
5. Cover pot and allow to simmer for one hour over small fire.
6. Add in dried oyster (that has been hydrated) and sea cucumber and continue to simmer for the next half hour.
7. Stir in oyster sauce, light soya sauce, dark soya sauce, pepper and shaoxing wine. Cover pot for another 5 minutes.
8. Add salt to taste.
9. To thicken the gravy, add cornstarch mixture and stir quickly. Remove from stove.
10. Blanch broccoli in a pot of hot water and season with a little salt and some oil.
11. Drain and arrange broccoli around the rim of the claypot dish.
12. Drizzle broccoli with some fried garlic and oil.
13. Garnish dish with some spring onions and chopped coriander.
14. Serve with steamed rice.

Leading Stewardess and sommelier Chan See Yee’s suggested alcohol pairing: Yamahai Sake

The sake is dry on the palate yet rich in acid that works harmoniously with the braised gravy. It’s also high in umami that pairs well with the flavours of the mushrooms. Lastly there’s a clean finish that brings up the overall dish.

 

Sherry Ng SIA cabin crew
Sherry Ng

2. Sherry Ng

Chief Stewardess

In service: 25 years and 10 months
Specialty: Baking
Dish created: Melt-in-your-mouth Kueh Bangkit

What (or who) was your inspiration behind the dish?
It was my mother who gave me the idea to make this delectable cookie. She said she misses my late grandmother, as my granny used to make very yummy cookies for the family to celebrate Lunar New Year with when they were back in Indonesia. Kueh Bangkit, a small biscuit that made from sago starch, is one of the Lunar New Year goodies that she misses the most.

Why does this dish remind you of the Lunar New Year?
As a kid, I used to look forward to eating Kueh Bangkit, one of my favourite Lunar New Year cookies. I could finish a whole container of Kueh Bangkit by myself. However, as I grew older, I cut down on my sugar intake and try to avoid sweet food. It is also not easy to find nice Kueh Bangkit offerings with just the right sweetness. This is another reason why I decided to learn making these cookies after my mother’s request. My mother is a diabetic patient and she is unable to take sweet stuff.

Sherry Ng SIA cabin crew
Sherry decided to make her own version for her mum

What do you love most about the Lunar New Year? How do you usually celebrate the occasion?
I look forward to this joyous festive season, where I can meet and catch up with my beloved family members, some of whom we only see once a year during this festive season. I also look forward to eating a lot of yummy food during these times – but in manageable quantities!

Which SIA destination does it remind you of and why so?
Because of the shape of the cookies, it reminds me of the most romantic place on earth, Paris. It was in the City of Lights that I had an unforgettable memory: I experienced snowfall for the first time there and was able to feel the fine snowflakes melting in my hands. It was truly a memorable affair for me!

Sherry Ng SIA cabin crew
Sherry’s melt-in-your-mouth Kueh Bangkit

Ingredients:
340g sago flour
110g tapioca flour
160g caster sugar
190ml coconut cream
4 egg yolks
6 pandan leaves

Method:
1. Bake sago flour and tapioca flour with pandan leaves at 200 degree Celsius for 30 minutes (bake an extra amount to use for dusting your mould).
2. Sift flour mixture after cooling completely.
3. Whisk egg yolks and caster sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Add flour mixture and coconut cream in three batches.
5. Mix, combine and gently knead into a dough (Dough should feel soft and not sticky). *Note: Add small amount of coconut cream if dough appears dry.
6. Roll dough flat about 1cm in thickness.
7. Dust the design mould with some flour mixture before cutting the dough into the desired shape.
8. Bake cookies at 180 degree Celsius for 20 minutes.
9. Let it cool completely and store in an air-tight container for about a month.

See Yee’s suggested alcohol pairing: Eden Valley Riesling

The delicate floral aromas of this Riesling as well as its subtle acid and great finish of lemon zest is a great match for these creamy rich coconut cookies.

 

Jo Luo SIA cabin crew
Jo Luo

3. Jo Luo

Leading Stewardess

In service: 15 years and 2 months
Specialty: Chinese cuisine
Dish created: Shanghainese Meat Rolls

What (or who) was your inspiration behind the dish?
Shanghai is my hometown, and it was the inspiration behind this dish.

Why does this dish remind you of Lunar New Year?
It reminds me of reunion dinner with family members during Lunar New Year in Shanghai. And it is my Grandma’s recipe.

Jo Luo SIA cabin crew
Jo loves cooking Chinese cuisine

What do you love most about Lunar New Year? How do you usually celebrate the occasion?
I get the chance to experience this special occasion with my family members in Shanghai. However, I cannot travel back to Shanghai during this pandemic; so to commemorate my family, I will prepare this dish during the coming Lunar New Year. I believe my Grandma will be proud of me. We usually spend time playing traditional games such as Mahjong and card games after dinner.

Which SIA destination does it remind you of and why so?
It reminds me of Shanghai, and that is because it is the place where I grew up. All of my beautiful childhood memories are all in this beautiful and modern city of China.

Jo Luo SIA cabin crew
The filling in Jo’s Shanghainese Meat Rolls suggests reunion and harmony

Ingredients:
1 pound (453g) of minced pork and prawn
2 sheets of crispy beancurd skin
Chopped cilantro
Chopped spring onions
1 tbsp of Shaoxing wine
2 tbsps of soya sauce
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 green onion (chopped finely)
1 tsp of minced ginger
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of oyster sauce
3 tbsps of white sugar
1 tsp of sesame oil

Method:
1. Mince the meat with a chopper but make sure not to over mince, otherwise it will be too powdery.
2. Deshell and devein the prawns before cutting them into small pieces.
3. In a large mixing bowl, add all the ingredients and seasonings listed and mix well until it becomes sticky.
4. Use a clean, damp cloth to gently wipe the bean curd skin on both sides to get rid of the salt coating.
5. Cut the bean sheet into 10 equal squares.
6. Use a spoon and scoop about 2 to 3 tbsps of the meat mixture onto the bean curd square, leaving about 1cm perimeter along the skin.
7. Put water in a wok and bring it to a boil.
8. Put a metal rack into the water.
9. Place the tray of meat rolls onto the rack to steam for about 15mins.
10. After steaming, let it cool completely before removing the rolls from the tray. Otherwise, the rolls will break.
11. In a wok, heat 2 bowls of oil over medium fire.
12. Slowly put one roll in first to test the temperature.
13. Fry until golden brown, then repeat with the other rolls.

See Yee’s suggested alcohol pairing: Maconnais (Chardonnay)

The good concentration of acid makes it a perfect pair for the oily and salty dish. This fresh and luscious fruit forward wine marries well with the meat rolls.

 

Andrew Wong SIA cabin crew
Andrew Wong

4. Andrew Wong

Flight Steward

In service: 8 years and 4 months
Specialty: Chinese cuisine
Dish created: Cai Po Steamed Fish

What (or who) was your inspiration behind the dish?
I secretly learned this dish from my late paternal grandmother. Among all the Chinese cuisine she cooked, this is the only dish with a simple recipe and is easy to remember. I doubt I can cook it as well as her, but I still continue do my best to cook this dish for my family.

Why does this dish remind you of Lunar New Year?
The dish was always one of the many dishes my late grandmother cooked during the Lunar New Year. Her hard work in creating delicious home cooked dishes was always able to draw family members home for dinner. On Lunar New Year, her spread is even more extensive! Everyone including extended relatives will gather around the table to enjoy the familiar home-cooked food. Furthermore, fish is an important dish during this time as its annotation is similar to having an abundance yearly.

Andrew Wong SIA cabin crew
Andrew draws inspiration from his late paternal grandmother

What do you love most about Lunar New year? How do you usually celebrate the occasion?
It’s definitely my favourite festive holiday. I love that it creates a perfect reason to gather everyone together, including relatives who are not staying nearby. I really treasure these gatherings as well as the traditional practise of giving out red packets. In my younger days, I was always really happy to receive red packets. After I got married, it became my turn to give blessings to others by handing out red packets to the younger ones. Now that I have a boy, he will also receive these good wishes from everyone. I just love Lunar New Year celebrations at every stage of one’s life.

Which SIA destination does it remind you of and why so?
It will definitely be China. My colleagues and I will organize hotpot sessions after almost every one of my flights to either Shanghai or Beijing. It’s really enjoyable – eating hotpot together, especially during the winter season, can be incredibly cozy, just like a Lunar New Year gathering.

Andrew Wong SIA cabin crew
Andrew’s Cai Po Steamed Fish

Ingredients:
1 slice of cod fish fillet (or your choice of fish)
4 cloves of garlic (diced)
4 tbsps of sweet radish
2 tbsps of sesame oil
1 tablespoon of soya sauce
String onion
Chilli and parsley for garnish

Method:
1. Heat pan and add 2 tablespoons of sesame oil.
2. Add in diced garlic and fry till golden brown.
3. Add in sweet radish and 1 tablespoon of soya sauce. Stir fry together, mixing well.
4. Prepare the steamer.
5. Place the whole stalk of spring onion as base for the fish fillet. (If you prefer, you can place sliced spring onions as the base instead.)
6. Place fish fillet on top.
7. Add the prepared sauce on top on the fish.
8. Steam for 15 to 20 minutes till fish is cooked.
9. Add chopped chilli and parsley for garnish.

See Yee’s suggested alcohol pairing: Ginjo Sake

The light, fruity, dry and subtle flavours of the sake help to bring out the overall flavour of the fish.

 

SEE ALSO: Welcome a prosperous year ahead with a luxurious menu from the comfort of your own home

The post Singapore Airlines cabin crew share their Lunar New Year-inspired dishes appeared first on SilverKris.



from SilverKris

No comments:

Post a Comment