Wednesday 3 June 2020

Travel Pro: A life of adventure with Aldo Kane

Aldo Kane Travel Pros
Adventure traveler, explorer and TV presenter Aldo Kane, photo by Hill and Aubery

The former marine commando turned TV presenter and adventurer talks about some of his wildest experiences in the remotest corners of the globe

Aldo Kane is a man who thrives on action and adventure. The Scottish-born Kane has certainly experienced plenty of both in his life, from becoming a marine at the age of 16 and sailing round the world at 19 to confronting polar bears in the icy wilderness of Greenland.

As well as working on the stunts for 2015 action movie Avengers: Age of Ultron, Kane has appeared in acclaimed documentary series such as Inside the Real Narcos, where he headed to Colombia, Mexico and Peru to meet with notorious drug cartels; First Man Out, a survivor-style show set in the mangroves of Borneo; and Hunting the Traffickers, about illegal tiger poaching in Southeast Asia.

He also found the time to devise Expedition Fit, a specific fitness regimen that uses minimal equipment and can be done on the move – perfect for a globetrotter like Kane.

Aldo Kane Travel Pros
Aldo while racing Ed Stafford across the mangrove swamps of Borneo for the TV show First Man Out. Photo credit: Rob Sixsmith

Most recently, he embarked on a number of thrilling expeditions to explore some of the remotest corners of the world in Oman, Suriname and Bhutan, with fellow adventurer and naturalist Steve Backshall for TV series The Expedition.

Here, Kane shares some of the amazing experiences he’s garnered while confronting criminals, scaling volcanoes and abseiling into the planet’s deepest caves, his must-have travel essentials and his newfound passion for flying like a bird.

Where is home to you and why?
I live in Bristol, England. It’s in the southwest of the UK and has some of the best weather in the country. The real reason I live here, though, is that it has everything that I need to keep me busy in the outdoors – from skydiving to diving, mountain biking to climbing – and with close access to the sea and mountains.

If you could live anywhere else in the world, where would it be and why?
I would live in Glen Coe in Scotland. It’s my home country, and Glen Coe is my favourite place to spend time – to think, to relax and to adventure.

What first started you travelling?
I joined the Royal Marines at the age of 16 where I became a Commando and travelled the world.

Where do you like to regularly revisit?
Loutro in Crete, a fantastic little hidden gem of a place on the south of the Greek island.

Aldo Kane Travel Pros
Aldo descending a rock face in Suriname, South America for the show The Expedition, with Steve Backshall. Photo credit: Aldo Kane

Where’s the remotest destination you’ve visited?
I was recently climbing in Suriname and the cliff we were on was a 10-week walk from the nearest civilisation. I’ve been lucky enough to visit some pretty remote places in the last few years.

Where haven’t you been that you would love to go?
I have a top three list of places I have not yet travelled to: Alaska, Antarctica and Patagonia. All of them for the same reason – adventure!

What place have you visited that surprised you the most?
Vanuatu in the South Pacific. I recently travelled there and was blown away by how beautiful the place was and how many volcanoes it had.

Aldo Kane Travel Pros
Aldo experiences plenty of life-changing moments in his travels. Photo credit: Aldo Kane

What has been your most life-changing moment while travelling?
I have recently done 10 world’s-first exploratory expeditions, documented in the series Expedition with Steve Backshall, from the deep caves in Borneo to high mountains in Greenland. One of the most special views I have ever seen was from the top of a previously unclimbed mountain in eastern Greenland. The views of the surrounding mountains were truly breathtaking.

What has been your scariest moment while travelling?
I was once hijacked on a bus travelling through South America. We were held for a few hours then released. It sounds scarier than it actually was.

Aldo Kane Travel Pros
Aldo’s new found passion is flying on his Parajet paramotor. Photo credit: Aldo Kane

Describe the best view you’ve ever witnessed?
The bird’s eye view of Earth from my paramotor. I learned to fly a Parajet Paramotor last year. Paramotoring is effectively tying a motor to your back, with a paragliding wing above your head, and taking to the skies. It offers some of the best views possible and a completely different perspective.

What are some of your top tips to survive jet lag?
When I get on the plane, I always set my watch to the destination, and stay hydrated as much as possible. When I land, one of the first things I do is go for a run. I always avoid napping on the first few days in a new country.

Aldo Kane Travel Pros
Aldo attributes his education to his various global adventures. Photo credit: Aldo Kane

How do you think travel has changed you?
I left school with next to zero qualifications. I had sailed around the world by the time I was 19 and the adventure hasn’t stopped. My education can 100% be attributed to travel and my adventures.

What are your three travel essentials?
I always travel with a Leatherman multi-tool, a water filter and my Bremont watch.

What’s your top tip for a long-haul flight?
Make use of the time you have sat in one place. I always find flights to be a very creative time for me. I like to sit and write or plan further adventures and it’s a great time to get your thoughts straight about important decisions.

Aldo Kane Travel Pros
Aldo is looking forward to spending more time getting a birds eye view of the southern coasts of the UK. Photo credit: Louis Garnier

Where do you dream of travelling next?
My next big trip is going to be more local. I am going to stay in the UK and explore the coastline and hills, but this time from a different angle – from up above on my paramotor.

How do you think travel will change in the future?
I think we will be confined to local travel for a while post-pandemic, but this will make us appreciate all the travel we have had over the years.

SEE ALSO: Travel Pro: Taking to the waves with Lauren L. Hill

The post Travel Pro: A life of adventure with Aldo Kane appeared first on SilverKris.



from SilverKris

No comments:

Post a Comment