Monday 25 May 2020

Travelling alone has its own charm, says Ssumier Pasricha aka ‘Pammi Aunty’

Ssumier S Pasricha, aka the viral sensation Pammi Aunty, has made viewers across the world laugh with his videos featuring the cantankerous Pammi who, in her outlandish headgear, gigantic glasses and facemask is always caught gossiping with Sarla ‘penji’ over the phone.

However, there’s more to Ssumier who’s also a trained classical singer, theatre artiste and kuchipudi dancer. While all these activities may not leave him with much for travel, the Delhi lad manages to take off as often as he can for some relaxing holidays. A tête-à-tête with Ssumier…

Coming from a business family that had no place for the arts, how did you manage to branch out and follow your heart’s calling?

Well, it took me quite a while to realize that I wanted to become an actor but that’s mainly because options at that time were fairly limited. So, like any good son, I was expected to be not just a successful but also a shrewd businessman. And although I must confess, I was fairly good at it my heart was looking to be elsewhere – in the world of music, dance and, of course, acting. So, I found some good work and shifted to Mumbai, and now, especially after the passing on of my father, oversee the family business as well.

When you travel, does Pammi Aunty travel with you?

No, she doesn’t, and that’s only because I don’t like to work while travelling. That time is my ‘me-time’. But yes, when people recognize me, I do spend time with them but refuse to talk shop and keep Pammi Aunty away.

Tell us about some of the places where inspiration struck…

Inspiration lies in every nook and corner – it all depends on what you’re looking for, what excites you and what you’re planning to create. My inspiration comes mainly from people. I love meeting people, getting to know about their culture, language, food, etc. Observing their mannerisms and habits helps me not just create new situations and stories but also provides ideas for my different roles as an actor.

Have you been asked to do an impromptu show when travelling?

Yes, about two years ago when I was being honoured in the House of Commons in London, an organization approached me to do a show. And within just about two days, I put something together with the help of a local artiste from the BBC news channel. The show that was presented in front of a big gathering was quite a hit.

Let’s talk about the last place you visited…

That was Pondicherry (now known as Puducherry) and I was completely besotted by its calm, relaxed pace of life. I loved Auroville, walking around, having great food at the numerous French cafes, taking in the old-world charm of the place, the sound of the sea waters, etc…

Also Read: Ayesha Kapur’s guide to Auroville & Puducherry as a local: Shopping and activities

Also Read: Manisha Koirala’s top travel experiences in Nepal

 



from
via Lonely Planet India

No comments:

Post a Comment